Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Water Filter

This course is Water or H2O, the project is making a water filter to turn dirty water into clean water and if it did not work why. The thing that I did really well is making the water filter because I have already made one for another project so I just used the same things. Something that is did wrong I pressed the bottle to hard and all the water turned black because there was coal and I guess when I pressed it some of the things I used fell to the bottom of the water filter. I overcame that by rinsing out the water and waiting for it to go through a cycle twice and then testing it again.


Data
Visual Observations
Measured amount
pH Test 1
pH Test 2
Average pH
Before filtration:
translucent
200mL
7.2
7.3
7.25 (a)
After 1st pass:
dark
150mL
7.0
7.1
7.05 (b)
After 2nd pass:
translucent
100mL
7.1
67.0
7.05 (c)
After 3rd pass:
translucent/
Black
50mL
7.1
7.1
7.1 (d)

Materials:

  • A large bucket of water obtained by Lake water
  • B. Untreated Water (Sample 1)
  • 1 14oz clear plastic PET bottle with cap
  • C. Sand/Gravel/Charcoal/Chlorine Dioxide Filter (Sample 2)
  • 1 14oz clear plastic PET bottle with cap
  • 18oz of common sand
  • 18oz of gravel
  • 8oz of activated carbon charcoal
  • Water collector
  • Digital pH meter
  • 2 x 200mL beakers
  • Over 1000mL contaminated water
  • 10mL 7.0 calibration fluid


0_________________________________7__d__c,b___a_____________________________14


My water filter design is you put water in the top and the water comes through the sand, gravel, and coal. I choose this because I have done something like this a couple years ago. And the water taste good for this water filter. My water filter works because the water goes through the bottle the sand, gravel, coal, sand, and gravel. It works by the water going through the water bottle and it drips into clean water. My water filter is the same as the ground water because it could be bad or you or good. It is different because my water is much safer to drink than ground water.

Yes it did change between 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3. It varied the most was 7.3 the least was 7.0.
My hypothesis was if I use common, inexpensive materials readily available anywhere in the world, then I should be able to construct an effective water filter for use in areas where drinkable fresh water is scarce. To test this hypothesis, I constructed two simple, inexpensive water filter systems using one proven methods for purifying small quantities of water. There is a growing shortage of drinkable fresh water in the world. In the Third World there is a great need for people to have affordable water filters. The purpose of this study is to compare the effectiveness of two different inexpensive types of water filters.
My hypothesis was partially supported by the data:
1. The pH levels of water from my two filtration methods were brought into the SAFE zone

The relationship between my water and the groundwater was that my water was a pH of 7.2 and the groundwater is of 8.2. Both of the water was dark and dirty. My water was clear but when I pulled it out it turned black.My water represents the filtration process by filtering it in one of the cycles.


  • Before 7.25
  • After 7.1
  • Change 0.15
  • -log x =0.15
  • or
  • 10^0.15
  • x= 1.91253754462


Before and after it was the same it was Acidic both before and after both of them were a 7.

LAB REPORT
Procedure
I will test water from Samples 1, 2 & 3 for purity in 2 different ways:

  1. Gathering Samples
  2.  From the source water, I will make three samples.

Sample 1
  •  Remains unfiltered
  •  Store in a capped 14oz clear plastic PET bottle
  • Test for chemical content using water strips
Sample 2
  1. Gather sand, gravel, charcoal, chlorine dioxide in the prescribed amounts
  2. Cut the bottom 2 inches off of 32oz clear plastic water bottle
  3.  With the cap on the bottle, put a small piece of cloth at the bottom of the bottom of the bottle
  4. Remove the cap
  5. Pour the prescribed ingredients into the open bottle in the following order from bottom to top
    • gravel
    • sand
    • charcoal
    • sand
    • gravel


 Pour water from the source water into the sand/gravel/charcoal/charcoal filter
Collect water that trickles out of the filter in the water collector in a 14oz clear plastic PET bottle

My hypothesis was if I use common, inexpensive materials readily available anywhere in the world, then I should be able to construct an effective water filter for use in areas where drinkable fresh water is scarce. To test this hypothesis, I constructed two simple, inexpensive water filter systems using two proven methods for purifying small quantities of water.

My hypothesis was partially supported by the data:

  1. The pH levels of water from my two filtration methods were brought into the SAFE zone
  2. My water filtration methods were not able to remove Total Coliform – an indicator of fecal bacterial contamination in water. This might have happened because:
    1. The gravel/sand/charcoal/chlorine dioxide filter used for Sample #2 did not contain enough filtration material to remove all of the contaminants.
    2. The information I learned in this experiment can help me in the “real world” because I discovered that while drinkable water can be obtained with simple, easy to make water filters the methods used must be carefully constructed to deliver the proper results.
    3. I would like to learn more about this subject because the supply of drinkable water around the world is becoming lower each year due to climate change, population growth and improper water usage. I want to help reverse this trend.


AA. Water Filter. (2015)

Works Cited 


De Villiers, Mara. "Water The Fate of Our Most Precious Resource" MA: Houghton Milflin, 2001.

Homme, Prud, Alex. "The Ripple Effect the Fate of Freshwater N the Twenty-firsty Century." New York, NY:: Scribrer, 2011.

Keinath M., Thomas. "Water." World Book Millennium 2000. Vol. Vol 2. USA: World Book Encyclopdia, 2000.

Pearce, Fred. "Keepers of the Spring. Reclaiming Our Water in an Age of Globalization" USA: Island Press, 2004. 

Pielou, E.C. "Fresh Water" USA: University of Chicago Press, 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment